Thursday, June 30, 2022

My Minuses of Germany Essay

 This is my list of things that are minuses in Germany (in 2022):

1.  It just seems like trains are less likely to run on time today (2022) than in 1978.  Cancellations, halts in the middle of a route, etc.....all add up.

2.  For whatever reason, a number of restaurants that you walk into....will only have one brand of beer, and it's the poorest selection possible (I won't mention the name). I've reached the point where I note this....I order water instead of beer.

3.  I appreciate all the German pro-dog lifestyles, and dragging 'Shep' off with you on trips....but when 'Shep' is loaded with fleas, and sitting next to me on a train....I really want to just exit immediately. 

4.  There are ten times the number of beggars existing in urbanized areas today, than in 1984.

5.  Probably a quarter of all commercial TV programming in Germany is reality TV stuff, and half of it is crap.

6.  It's pretty much guaranteed on train trips that either the toilets are broke, the AC can't handle the load, or the train is standing room only.

7.  Some of these German autobahn rest-rooms....are not fit for man or beast.  The ones that are clean....require a 50-cent entry.  

8.  Unless you carry a map and compass with you....most of these trails through the woods have only rough markings on where the trail is leading you. 

9.  Germans today (compared against the 1980s) have huge expectations for things to function.  When they fail....this become a doom discussion and occupies their mind for hours.  Every year, this problem seems to expand.  Politicians will waste a vast number of hours trying to explain why things fail these days.  

10.  With this deposit bottle business now mandated....it's a 50-50 shot when I show up at a German grocery and scan my dozen bottles....that the machine will only accept ten of the twelve.  I'll put the unaccepted bottles in the car....drive to another grocery later, and their machine scans the two bottles.  Why?  Unknown....but this is now a weekly event.  

No comments: