Tuesday, September 13, 2022

A Little Twitter Story

 Out of all the German political figures that might come up in conversation....the SPD General Secretary....Kevin Kühnert is one I would rate in the top ten of interest. 

This past weekend, Kühnert did something interesting....he quit Twitter.

Yes, with around 370,000 folks who followed him....he turned off his account.

Logic and reasoning?  He says of Twitter and the way it's built....it can only lead to "false conclusions and errors in political decisions". 

I sat there a while and pondered over it.

I quit Twitter over a year ago, and other than looking at occasional trends or statements....I reached a point where I considered the 'feed' of Twitter to be leading you to some false thoughts or reasoning.  

Fake Twitter commentary?  That fed into my issues as well.  If you asked me to guess....more than 10-percent of the commentary was 'fed' and faked-up.  You probably got better opinions in a barber-shop or pub....with live people.

If you asked me if Kühnert's decision will trend....with other German political folks making the same position?  Some will.....the majority will linger on Twitter.  You have to have some method (either a blog or some news service) which gives  you an outlet to speak to your 'followers'.  

Now, if you asked me of the 370,000 followers of Kühnert....how many were fake?  Well....that's another problem by itself.  You can't be sure of anything.  Maybe 2,000 of them were fake or bot accounts.  Maybe it actually got up in the 20,000 range.  Maybe even 50,000 were faked-up.  You just don't know.

I would imagine dozens of political figures are looking at what occurred and thinking about their own Twitter 'world'.  Maybe more will just say adios and leave Twitter.  

No comments: