Thursday, December 1, 2022

Before Internet Essay

 Before the internet came along, I tended to have one or two local radio stations for news or music.  Today?  I have around 14 channels....two in Germany,  two in the UK, a couple in the US, and one in Ireland....that I routinely listen to.  

Before the internet came along, I probably visited a local library at least once a month...picking up two books to read, and spending half-an-hour in the newspaper sitting area. Today?  I read a vast listing of newspapers from around the globe (from Sydney to NY City, and onto Berlin.  I read mostly digital books from E-reader....while traveling on a bus, or sitting on a park-bench.

Before the internet came along, I didn't really have 'favorite' restaurants, and it was mostly hit-and-miss on quality.  Today?  I have various listings and public commentaries to review....with around forty-odd places that I favor in my 10-mile circle.  All from the internet.

Before the internet came along, most of these public opinion thoughts I had....came from newspapers, or Time/Newsweek.  Today?  I probably well over 1,000 personal opinions, and they came from over a thousand internet sites.

Before the internet came along, I physically shopped.  Today?  I'll browse around ten different sites, pick the product, use my card to buy it, and it arrives to my front-door in three days or less.  Oddly enough, the delivery folks sometimes even have a graphic to tell me the product is five stops away from my house.  My local grocery now offers a 'box' to have my order delivered to.....for pick-up 24 hours a day.

Before the internet came along, if you were single, you had to use blind-dating options (zero thrills there) or just luck out at some bar or bowling alley.  Today?  Various dating apps exist, and ask 300 questions....where you get matched up with someone who is at least 3-percent like your dream fantasy gal.  

Before the internet came along, it was hit and miss on knowing the bad parts of town to avoid.  Today?  People summarize their crime situation, and you can get a pretty good map of places to avoid....within 30 seconds.

Before the internet came along, getting car tag registration done....was a absolute mess.  Today?  It takes 30 seconds to make an appointment, and you rarely use more than 15 minutes at the station.

Before the internet came along, you had marginal TV options.  Today?  If you want to watch 'Game of Thrones' over and over, and over, and over.....you can do that.  If you like stupid cat videos....you can watch them eight hours a day.  If you want to watch Kojak or Baywatch or South Korean zombie movies....you have that option.

Before the internet came along, you spent two hours each month dealing with bank business.  Today?  You probably haven't stepped into a bank more than once in the past four years.  That ATM business, Apple-Pay, and the swipe card business.....made everything simple.

Before the internet came along, you had to deal with travel agents who were constantly bluffing you on their knowledge level.  Today?  You plan your own trip....make your own travel arrangements.....select your hotel based on advice of 1,000 other people, and somehow saved 25-percent over what you used to pay for the same trip.

Is it complicated today?  Yeah.  If you were not mentally up to the amount of technology involved....it'd be a problem.  

No comments: