Tuesday, November 10, 2020

StarLink Coming?

 If you sat down with 10,000 Germans and allowed them to bring their grumbling episodes....what pisses them off to a fair degree....at least 20-percent of them will say internet-speed.

I'm a happy camper, here in my community on the outskirts of Wiesbaden.  I've got adequate internet speed.  I admit....I pay a fair chunk for it, but I'm happy.

You can go 40 kilometers north of here, and start getting into remote villages and towns....to find that it's crap.  Three years ago, Germany was ranked 29th in the world with a average download speed of 40.38 Mbps.  

The promise by the government to spend big and bring faster speed to the remote areas of Germany?  It's a ton of money but most folks don't expect this to be resolved at any point over the next decade.  Village by village....things will improve.

So approaching now is Elon Musk, and his little download idea.

Starlink will be a probably fix-all-problems solution in this mess.  Price per month?  Right now....in the US, the chatter is $99 (I tend to expect it to rise $150 within five years).  The dish and router?  It's in the $500 range (at least that's the current promise).

Germans accepting this idea?  If the sales guy said full installation included in the price with the router/dish....most would go for the deal.   

No comments: